Skip to main content

The world according to Facebook

I told you I was addicted to blogging.

So much for once a week.  In my defense, I did add the qualifier "or so".  I just have a lot to say, ok?  And if you are going to listen to me, I'm just going to keep on talking.  Ask my husband about that.

So there's this new-fangled thing called Facebook.  Apparently, all the hip kids are doing it these days.  Actually, when there are now fan pages for everything from Heinz Ketchup (494K+ fans) to Birds Eye Vegetables (22K+ fans) I'm trying to figure out how many people, businesses, and ideas are NOT found on Facebook these days.

In the early days of Google, there was a phenomenon called Googlewhacking.  The concept was simple: put two words (without quotes) into the search bar and try to come up with one (and ONLY one) result.  Try it.  I've never succeeded.  I think that's where Facebook has gone these days.  Try searching for anything and see if there isn't a fan page of some kind.  I'm the first to admit that if you run a business  (like, oh, say Romp n' Roll) or you're trying to promote an organization (like, oh, say...CJ's Thumbs Up Foundation), Facebook is the place to be seen.  It's the way to get the word out.  I love social media. 

I love Facebook for many reasons.  It has allowed me to connect with some of my closest friends who are now scattered far and wide across the country.  We used to send Christmas cards once a year or talk on the phone every so often.  Now we Facebook.  We catch up on each other's lives via status updates and virtual photo galleries.  I feel more in touch with some of my friends now than when we were in high school or college. I never forget to wish them a happy birthday because Facebook faithfully reminds me.  I know when their child loses a tooth.  I know when they get sick.  I know when they've had a good day...or a shitty one.  We can revel virtually in each other's lives and still feel like we are "in touch". 

How many of you get your news from Facebook these days?  I frequently log on, trolling through the latest updates to find news from both legitimate sources (NPR and HuffPo are two of my faves) as well as news of note posted by friends.  Want to know if it's snowing in Hanover County?  Check Facebook.  Want to know if a celebrity died? or is getting a divorce?  or went to a club without wearing underwear?  Someone on Facebook will be talking about it.  It can be a little overwhelming.  I find you have to filter...and check your facts.

This leads to the slippery side of Facebook.  Everything has a dark side, right?  So where is the line?  How far do you go?  Have you ever seen this picture?

It floated around Facebook for a while and everyone said the hunter was using his camera's timer to take a picture of his "kill".  It was only after looking at the developed photo that he saw the mountain lion stalking him in the background.  Scary, huh?  Here's the problem. The photo is a fake.  

This is a prime example of a frequent occurrence in the world of Facebook.  People are easily sucked in to whatever they read.  They don't always check the facts and they just blindly pass along information, trusting it to be true.  Five years ago, people did this via email.  Ten years ago, we just told these stories at a dinner party or cocktail hour.  They are urban legends.  Sometimes there's an element of truth but mostly, it's a lot of exaggeration and not a lot of verifyable fact.  The problem is that we tend to believe what we read.  We, as a society, are blind and trusting consumers of information.  If we read it (especially if it's on the Internet), it must be true.  

This is where Facebook starts to annoy me.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  I try to verify what I read before I pass it along.  If you post something that is untrue, I may call you on it (thanks, Snopes).  If you post a status update that states something like "repost this as your status update if you agree" you can pretty much bet that I won't be one of the people who will copy you.  I don't get sucked in to games like Farmville or Mafia Wars.  I don't pass along hearts or flowers or hugs.  I don't poke.  I don't click "like" on every conceivable concept known to man. 

BUT I have been known to take a random survey.  I mean, I do need to know which Desperate Housewife best reflects my personality (Lynette) or which 80's teen heart-throb would be my boyfriend (John Cusack, of course).  On the other hand, I don't think I need to know which serial killer is most like me.  I might question the personality of someone who does.   

I don't think poorly of anyone who chooses to use Facebook in this way.  Facebook is what you make it and if it's a glorious time suck that makes your day a little bit happier, all the better.  I am just grateful that I can hide all the superfluous posts that show me how you spent your day on Facebook.  It makes my cruising a little more efficient. 

I have never de-friended anyone.  To my knowledge, nobody has ever de-friended me (so far).  I have hidden a few people from my news feed because their news just got to be a little too much to tolerate.  I have one "friend" who apparently selectively allows certain people to comment on her feeds but doesn't allow others to commentate on her posts.  Personally, I think that's a pretty chicken-shit maneuver.  If you're going to open yourself up to opinion and commentary, you have to be ready to take the heat from all sides. 

I love posting a news article or opinion that generates conversation and discussion.  I'm proud to have friends on all sides of the political and sociological spectrum.  While I may not agree with you, I love a healthy dialogue.  You can ask my husband about that too.  It's pretty tough to hurt my feelings.  

Years from now, there will be psychology courses and sociology courses devoted to how the world uses Facebook.  Some use it to seek attention, others use it to feel better about themselves.   Some use it to find love, others use it to bash their ex-es.  Some use it to vent about a difficult time in their lives, others use it to brag about recent accomplishments.  Some people just like to goof off.  Facebook is the world in all its facets, both expanded and concentrated all at the same time. 

How do you Facebook?

Comments

  1. I spend maybe 10 minutes a day on Facebook. I use feedreaders for the blogs I read and I use Twitter, and Facebook is something that I find primarily useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog....and Facebook. I have to admit that after having Facebook for a couple years now, I too have quit a lot of the extras and realize I don't need need to update quite as much as in the past. No one cares what I'm making for dinner EVERY night. Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I facebook everyday and most times a few times aday, just checking to see what's going on with family and friends near and far. I love to keep up with cousins and aunts that live in other states, mostly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I update through Twitter and then when people respond to my updates on Facebook, I start surfing around. And, I definitely enjoy the aspect of keeping in touch with old friends AND getting to know people better a second time around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend entirely too much time on Facebook. One of my New Year's Sort-of Resolutions is not to let Facebook replace Face TIME -- I do love having all-day access to the minutiae of my friends' lives, but I think it's taking away the impetus to get together and catch up on the highlights, you know?

    I do not get Twitter. I open it up, and I feel like my Grandma must have when she found the internet. I just don't GET it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NPR, Huffington Post are legitimate 'news' sources?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into