Skip to main content

Skinned Knees & Mended Hearts

My grief lies all within
And these external manners of lament
Are merely shadows to the unseen grief

That swells with silence in the tortured soul”
--William Shakespeare

On Wednesday, I was leaving one of the schools where I work.  I was crossing the parking lot to my car and I tripped. There was no ice, no barriers in the road. I just tripped over my own two feet and went flying.  My knees broke my fall. 

In the instant I hit the pavement, the pain was, in a word, intense.  I will admit that quite a few four letter words were uttered under my breath.  I inhaled deeply, gathered my bag (some of its contents spilling out onto the road), and hobbled the 20 more yards to my car. 

I pulled up my pant legs to assess the damage.  Both knees were skinned.  I had errands to run so I started the car, thinking I'd stop at a drugstore for band aids if needed.  Interestingly, the incident took the first 10 layers of skin off my knees but the bleeding was slight.  By the time I reached my next destination, I could slide my trouser legs over my knees without fear of destroying the material with blood stains.  
Moleskin: Love is Pain
Photo credit: Mike Kline
I avoided the emergency room. The event didn't even warrant a trip to the Minute Clinic.  Probably the biggest damage was done to my pride.  I moved on, slowly, but that sting in my knees has been a constant reminder this week. 

I've used this blog to explain my experience with grief before.  You've heard many metaphors for that process by which we deal with tragedy, suffering, and loss.  I guess I've found another one to add to the collection. 

Like grief, the initial impact of those skinned knees were a shock to the system.  The pain was intense. A flood of different emotions (pain, embarrassment, anger, pity) engulfed my system all at the same time.  I took some immediate action to staunch the bleeding (thank goodness for those extra napkins in my glove compartment) and trudged forward.  For the next few days, every time I moved, I felt the sting of the raw skin.  Even though I could feel it, the pain was invisible to everyone else.  I cloaked the evidence in pants and tights.  Unless I called their attention to my injury, nobody really knew it was there.  

After a few days, the pain has subsided.  The skin is scabbing over and the healing process has begun.  I still have to be careful, though.  I won't be shaving the hair on my knees for a little while. (Thank goodness it's not bathing suit season!) If I bump my knees against a chair, a wall, or the bed, the pain rears its head again.  I'm reminded that I'm still healing. 

Even well meaning friends and family can trigger the pain. The other night, we were sitting on the couch and Roger absentmindedly placed his hand on my knee.  What was intended as an act of comfort or endearment caused me to flinch and back away.  He immediately apologized, saying that he had forgotten about my "war injury".  It's true. Sometimes even those close to us forget how painful grief can be.  Without visible wounds, the pain only rears its head when triggered.  And those triggers can come out of left field.  We are left defenseless, even for a short time. 

Time heals all wounds, whether skinned knees or mended hearts. What remains is a scar: an eternal reminder that while we were broken, we can find peace. The memories, good and bad, remain in that place, protected by a new layer of skin.  Often, that scarred skin is darker, tougher. It's not impermeable but it arms us as we face the days ahead.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into