Skip to main content

A Blessing On Your House (Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov)

The other day, as I was washing a glass pitcher in the kitchen, I suddenly flashed back to the memory of receiving the lovely gift. It was 2003 and we had recently moved into our home in Ashland; our first real home of our married life, after a series of rentals through the early days of marriage, graduate school, and 4 moves in 6 years. To mark the occasion of official home ownership, we invited friends and family to join us for a traditional house blessing. The assistant rector of our home church at the time (Trinity Episcopal in Fredericksburg) led our guests in a litany as we moved from room to room, acknowledging the blessing of shelter, recognizing the joy of community, and asking for peace, health, and security in the years to come. Then we celebrated in the most traditional way: with food, beverage, love, and laughter shared with good friends. 

In the sacrament of baptism, we recognize a person's entrance into the church family. The congregation at large promises to support the recently baptized as they also confirm their own commitment to Christ. Similarly, the sacrament of marriage calls for the couple to confirm their commitment to each other but also calls on the witnessing congregation to "do all in [their] power to uphold these two persons in their marriage". Although it is not quite the major sacrament of baptism or marriage, a house blessing similarly acknowledges the role the community plays in support of individual members of the body of Christ. 

As I thought of the blessing we received on that day, I pondered that concept of the word "blessing". Some might think of it as a protective shield; an impermeable surface that covers a person (or family) and keeps out any and all evil. As most of us know, though, bad things can (and often do) happen to good people. Does that mean God is not doing his job? Does that mean that we, as people of faith, have not done enough to secure the favor of an omniscient diety? A simple survey of a variety of faiths would tell you that there are many ideas on this topic. I am sure entire theology courses (and certainly countless weekly homilies) have addressed this very theme. 

Personally, I don't ascribe to the idea that bad things happen to us because we do or do not believe or do certain things in a predetermined quantity or in a particular way. When our home was blessed in 2003, it didn't erase the possibility of tragedy from our lives. It wasn't an insurance policy. Rather, it allowed us to share our home and our faith with our community in a public way. Flash forward seven years to 2010 and we see how that same community (along with many more supporters and friends who had joined our Network along the way) held us up during one of our darkest times. The blessing was not there to shield us; it was there to catch our fall, like a soft pillow. 

Charlotte's 10th birthday approaches this week. I have been a mother for over a decade. As I reflected on that concept, I looked back over my "musings" within this blog that fell around Charlotte's birthday. I was struck by how much a post from 2011 touched on thoughts of grief that remain valid and current for me today. In that post, I recounted Charlotte's birth story and said, "These memories stick with me, as they must with every mother. Before her illness, those memories filled me with joy. The joy remains, colored with sadness."  Was Pixar reading my blog? Wasn't I just talking about this last week?

I also thought of Sheryl Sandberg's recent reflection on the death of her husband. After a month of grief, Sheryl said, "I have lived thirty years in these thirty days. I am thirty years sadder. I feel like I am thirty years wiser." When I read that statement, I uttered a hearty, "Amen". Grief will age you in a way that nothing else will. It will change you physically and mentally. It alters your perspective, for better or worse. 

I can't help but look at Charlotte's peers, celebrating their own decade of life, and wonder what would have been, had cancer not invaded her brain in 2009. 

I'm still not sure what to do or say this time of year. It doesn't feel right (or necessary) to fall into a puddle on the floor but I can't ignore the heaviness that sits in my heart for about a month, starting in the middle of June. For now, I'll do my best to surf the waves, knowing the Network is always there to catch me, should I need a rescue mission.

Happy birthday, Monkey Butt. Thanks for making me a mama. I miss you every day. 

 


Charlotte Jennie Reynolds
7/9/2005-1/6/2010


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into