Skip to main content

To everything there is a season

It's been a while since I used the blog to share my thoughts. What started as some random musings turned into much more than a Facebook post. I started writing this over a week ago but it's taken a minute to actually hit the publish button. Thanks for your patience. Welcome back. 

It has been a week (or two). One of those weeks where everything happens all at once. A week where things need to happen in a particular order or everything‘s going to go to shit. A week where you just seem to go from one thing to the next thing and you’ll figure out what’s going to happen next as it goes along. A week full of work and family and rest and sleeplessness and it never feels like there’s enough time for anything. But somehow it all works out. 

A plaque on the library walk in NYC

My week started with a trip for work to NYC. It coincided with my birthday. Because of that, I had all kinds of feelings all week about life in general. The week ended with a trip to Florida that, unfortunately, included a family funeral. It was another opportunity to be thoughtful and melancholic. To feel all the feelings. A time with family to laugh and to cry. We collectively mourned the loss of a human taken way too soon from this world. Many hearts are broken and it just hurts so much.

In the days surrounding the memorial event, the words of Ecclesiastes that were included in our wedding have been floating around in my head. I loathe the sentiment that everything happens for a reason.  At the same time, I am comforted by those words: to everything, there is a season. Everything is temporary: both the good and the bad.

Over the last 15 years, I have heard so many people say to me, “I don’t know how you do it." When they say that, I know that what they are often referring to is managing the losses I have experienced in my life. I will be the first to admit that I have carried my share of sadness. If I concentrate on those losses, I am heartbroken. But I often think about all the other things that have happened in my life. The good things. Some of which may not have even happened without the bad. Is that balance in the universe or just my perspective seeing it as so? There is a time to every purpose under heaven.

When I think about all the challenges I have faced in life, I don’t see it as an accomplishment. I don't like being held up as some poster child for how to "manage grief". But I do find strength in my resilience. If my life can serve as an example to others, to provide strength or comfort, then that is a good thing. I struggle with living life one day at a time. I always have. The older I get, I realize it’s all we can do.

The hymn It is Well With My Soul held a prominent place in the memorial service for Chloe. A few years ago, I learned about the origin of the song. Horatio Spafford wrote the poem after surviving a life filled with loss. He lost his business and only son in the Great Chicago Fire. Only two years later, his wife and four daughters were involved in a shipwreck. Spafford had intended to cross the ocean with his family but changed his plans at the last minute. His wife survived but all his other children perished in the disaster. Understanding the pain that comes with grief, it would have been easy for Spafford to be angry, hopeless, and absolutely wrecked by his grief. He chose instead to honor the life of his children through his continued survival. Finding peace in tragedy is what the poem is all about.

 When peace like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul

Thanks for giving me this space to express my thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into

Tis the Season for Leaks

Now that we've had a few posts to settle in with one another, let's get personal, shall we?   It's almost an understatement to say that this has been a difficult year.  The last few weeks, especially, brought back a flood of memories.  This time last year, we were in the home stretch .   We were watching our daughter die.  I have spent the weeks since Thanksgiving thinking of our final days with her.  I miss her terribly.  I miss her laugh and her smile and her stories.  I cry a lot.   This is going to sound funny but I don't cry the way I used too.  In the past, if I got upset, you would KNOW that I was upset.  Now, it just kind of leaks out.  I'll be sitting somewhere: waiting in line at the store, working, driving in my car....and the tears just start to flow.  I don't even necessarily "break down" and sob.  I just leak.   Anything can trigger the leak.  Usually it's a memory of Charlotte.  Sometimes I'm reminded of a child or a family i