Skip to main content

Dear Jesus, protect me from your followers...

This week's musings are of a religious nature...inspired by current events.

First, this week Pope Benedict made an official declaration that "the Jews were not responsible for killing Jesus."  First of all, I thought we resolved this in 1965 during Vatican II, (The Sequel: This Time, it's Holier Than Thou) so I'm not really sure why the announcement is "news".  I know that the announcement coincided with the release of the Pope's latest soon to be best-seller Jesus of Nazareth, Part II (Seriously.  Everyone's got to publish these days.) but the more I thought about this bit of news the more it puzzled me. 

As Christians, we believe that Jesus came to Earth as God in human form.  Aside from his short but amazing ministry, his primary purpose was to die for the sins of the world.  His death and subsequent resurrection is the tangible symbol of God's everlasting Grace.  Yes, his death was incredibly violent.  Crucifixion is a horrible and torturous form of capital punishment.  But here's the question: isn't that the way it had to be?  At the Last Supper, Jesus said to his disciples:

"I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of GodLuke 22:15

Jesus KNEW he was going to have to die.  He knew what was coming.  In order to fulfill God's plan, wasn't somebody going to have to kill him? It's because of his death and resurrection that the pillars of Christian faith (grace, salvation, and eternal life) endure.  So my question is: why and how would early Christians ever get the idea that the people who killed Jesus (whoever they were) were bad?  Shouldn't we actually revere them for helping to fulfill God's will?  It's all very confusing.

Shirley Phelps-RoperIn other news, the Supreme Court ruled this week that hate speech, no matter how ugly and vicious, is still protected under the First Amendment.  While I found this ruling surprising in many ways, the most shocking part of the entire situation is that the group protected in spreading its message of hate is...wait for it...a CHURCH.  The Westboro Baptist Church is a small fringe group that seems to be poorly named. Maybe they're having an identity crisis. I can't seem to find anything about their principles or beliefs that resembles the teachings of Jesus.  They do like to slap random Bible verses (usually taken way out of context) on signs.  I'm really not sure who they love (except themselves).  I definitely don't understand how they can claim Christian compassion and the teachings of the Greatest Commandment when they devote their time, effort, and energy into evangelizing words of hate outside funerals and burials.  There is nothing in their behavior that emulates Christ's teachings. 

In what is truly a sign of the apocalypse, Sarah Palin and I actually agree on something. 

Leave it to the blogosphere to help me find a light in the proverbial darkness. Today's voice of reason and faith: Bono. yes.  That Bono. His interview on The Poached Egg was actually from September of last year but I found this blog post on a Twitter feed and was so inspired to read his musings on faith, Jesus, and social responsiblity.  My favorite quote:

You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics; in physical laws every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.  

Yes, we've all done a lot of stupid stuff. 
Sometimes we do it in the name of religion. 
Thank God for Grace. 



Comments

  1. Rachel,
    So true, but for the Grace of God, where would we all be. Sometimes we don't understand what he has planned but it is always revealed at some time.
    I don't understand the church that protests everything. Even if we don't agree with someone else, how can we say "God hates you?" My God does not I am sure, he may be disappointed in actions people take or decisions they make, but not them.
    Thanks for the wonderful post.
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... when I saw that whole "Jews killed Jesus" thing... I thought, "well wasn't it actually/technically the Romans and if they hadn't done that how would you get to be Christian?" Interesting logic on their part. Also, that was nice of the Pope to absolve the Jews, I'm sure they were very broken up about the whole thing.

    Sorry, that came out far more cynical than I intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at that sign in that photo and just shake my head in frustration at the idiocy of it. In John 10, Jesus says “I lay down my life for the sheep...I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again." No one killed Jesus. He gave Himself up. (I'm a little late on this post...but I often enjoy back-reading when I have time, and it got my ire up alongside you!:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into