Skip to main content

Time for the next big thing

We hit a very important milestone last week! Kiddo has been with us for six months.

Does everyone remember what that means?

We are ready to move forward with adoption!

Now before everyone gets too excited, there is still a great deal of work (and paperwork) to be done until we finally sign on the dotted line and make it legally official.  But this is a MAJOR milestone, both for us and for Kiddo.  

I've been in quite the reflective mood lately, so seems a good a time as any to reflect on some of the ways in which Kiddo has changed my life.


1. I'm a more responsible adult when I'm a parent. When it was just Roger and me for a while, it was easy to fall into a slump where we could eat popcorn, PBJ sandwiches, or noodle soup almost every night for dinner. We could leave the laundry lying around unfolded (or at least folded in the basket) for days on end.  Now I have a little person expecting three relatively healthy meals a day. And I need to set a good example. She keeps me on my toes. On a similar note...

2. I'm better at work-life balance. In the months and years after Charlotte died, I developed a habit of staying busy. Sure, some of it was a coping mechanism. It worked. It was not uncommon for me to work an 8-9 hour day at my primary job, grab some dinner, and then go to a meeting or event for another organization or work at home on my computer until about 10 pm.  Now I need to be home no later than 6 pm (sometimes earlier) and make sure Kiddo gets fed and in bed by 8 pm. There's homework to do, books to read, and after school activities in which to participate. By the time the lights are out and Kiddo is snoozing, I'm ready for a glass of wine and a Netflix show before bed. I'm still active in my community in many different ways but parenting requires me to use a bit more discernment in these choices. 

3. Elementary school is a big step from preschool. Our school experience with Charlotte was limited to preschool and daycare. I have worked in schools for most of my career but even with my inside knowledge (which isn't always a good thing) I was in for a little culture shock when it came to elementary school. You get a  lot less information from her teachers and there's a lot more guessing when it comes to "how the day went".  I have to fight the urge to email her teacher every night and ask how her day was.  I'm so grateful that Kiddo has had some wonderful and supportive teachers who are attentive to her complex emotional needs. I'm not even a helicopter parent but I still wish I could be a fly on the wall at school most days. 

4. Sometimes kids ask the best questions. And the most difficult. Sometimes, our days consist of answering questions. LOTS and LOTS of questions. I love Kiddo's natural curiosity about everything from stars and the planets to musical theater. Our conversations have ranged from the mundane and fairly simple ("Why is the planet Mars red?" "What other musicals has Idina Menzel been in?") to the slightly uncomfortable ("How does a baby get in your tummy? And how does it get out?") to the really challenging ("Why can't I live with my birth family anymore?").  Yes, Kiddo has done an awful lot of living in and sometimes her questions reflect those of someone beyond her seven (almost 8) short years.   

5. Sometimes the sweetest words can also be the most profound. Every parent loves to hear the phrase, "You're the best mom (or dad) ever."  That statement takes on a life of its own when it's worded, "You're the best mom I've ever had." 

For many years, I wondered if I was ready to open my heart to another child. It wasn't an easy decision. At the same time, Roger and I have realized that our experiences with grief and loss give us a unique empathy for children in foster care. These kids have experienced loss as well and many of the behaviors and feelings I see expressed in Kiddo come straight out of that loss. It manifests in the most challenging and unexpected ways sometimes.  If you're not looking for it, she can seem like a completely okay and well-adjusted kid. Some days, she's a child with no shyness or fear who easily sidles up to any kid or adult and instantly becomes their "best friend".  On the flip side, she can also sometimes seem like a kid who can't keep still or quiet, much like a child with ADHD. It all comes from the same place. Understanding that helps us understand her. I have watched her grow so much in the last six months and I'm so proud of her.  I'm happy to have played just a small part in her progress so far. 

We continue the journey. On to the next big thing. Everybody ready for the next part of the ride? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into