Skip to main content

Why Should I Cry For You?

"Sometimes I see your face,
The stars seem to lose their place
Why must I think of you?
Why must I?
Why should I?
Why should I cry for you?
Why would you want me to?
And what would it mean to say,
That, "I loved you in my fashion"?
What would be true?
Why should I?
Why should I cry for you?"
-- Sting 

It's been a while, hasn't it? But it's that time of year again. 

Sometimes I regret that I'm not writing on my blog nearly as much as I used to. It seems that my posts center around special family events and dates and I'm certainly not as prolific as I used to be. I write lots of things in my head or in my journals that just don't make it to social media and I hope those of you who continue to read my ramblings will accept my apologies for the long pauses in between my thoughts. 

I suppose I'm saving it all for my next memoirs. When I'm rich and famous. 

[pause for laughter]

If I were to sum up my feelings right now about Charlotte in one word, I think that word would be bittersweet. The ratio of bitter to sweet can vary from day to day and week to week. 

Those of you on Facebook know that there is this feature where they share some of your "most popular" posts from previous years on that particular day. Often, it's one of the first things you see when you open your feed (your option to share it again with anyone). The memories of Charlotte or of our cancer/grief journey tend to jump out at me with no warning and give me a nice sucker punch. 

I saw this one today and here is what really hit home: those first years (and especially THE first year) grieving Charlotte's death were so difficult. It was hard to see the light at the end of that long tunnel. I have never been more heartbroken. 

In those days, anything could send me over the edge. 


 
Recently, I had the opportunity to meet with a mother whose daughter was facing a similar circumstance with a terminal diagnosis of cancer. We were connected through the hospital social worker. What started as a brief meetup on my lunch break turned into in emotionally draining but incredibly meaningful afternoon. We laughed. We cried. My heart ached for this mama because I saw so much of our journey in hers. I knew that her road had already been so difficult and that the immediate road ahead would be hard as well. Her daughter died a few days later. 

The day after I received the news, I was driving to work with my ipod on shuffle. This can be a dangerous thing because you never know what song might come up or what it might trigger. Of all the songs to appear, it was Bring Him Home from Les Miserables. I almost had to pull over on the side of the road because of my tears.  

One of the hardest things to manage in our grief journey is the survivor guilt. It's hard to let yourself be happy. I know that there's nothing rational about it. It doesn't always make sense. But it's there. It's one of the things I had to come to terms with before we were ready to adopt and expand our family.

Another mom who lost her daughter within a year of Charlotte's death has been on a similar journey. She has struggled with her grief as I have and has experienced both the joy and sorrow in moving forward with her other child (also adopted like our Kiddo). I was delighted to see her Caring Bridge post this week in which she proclaimed genuine joy. It can be such a struggle to get to the next mile marker, the next normal. 

Notice that I don't say "the other side". That implies that the journey is over. It implies that there is an end to our grief.  

This year, I watched as many of the kids who are Charlotte's age finished fifth grade. My eldest daughter would be a rising middle schooler this year. I think often of the conversations we would be having now. What would her interests be? What would she be doing with her time this summer? In my mind, she is still a preschooler who loves princesses and Frosty the Bad-Ass. She is forever four.

Over the next few days, I will have a few ugly cries. It's ok. There's definitely something therapeutic about it. Roger and I find a way every year to mark the day/week of her birth and it always works out for us (it's always different).  This year, I ended up scheduling my vacation this week and I think that's a very good thing. 

To my friends and family: I know I have said it before, but thank you (again) for the never-ending love. A special public thank you to Roger, who knows me better than just about anyone. It only takes a word or a glance and we know what the other is thinking. He's always there for me and I try to always be there for him as well. I couldn't make it this far without him. 

Happy 11th Birthday, baby girl. 
Charlotte Jennie
July 9, 2005-January 7, 2010



 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into