Skip to main content

In Defense of Disney

Peggy Orenstein's latest book has been all the buzz these days.  In Cinderella Ate My Daughter, she waxes poetic about how the Princess Industrial Complex (apparently a term she coined) corrupted her daughter.  After two years caring for her daughter at home, she sends her to preschool.  Within a week, she learns the names of all the Disney Princesses from her peers.  Despite her best intentions, the outside world proceeds to fill her daughter's head with princess dreams. The waitress at the diner brings her princess pancakes.  The dentist has a princess chair.   Orenstein is frustrated by all of this emphasis on girly images.  Her argument is that fixation on presumed gender roles at such a young age creates an ongoing distorted view of beauty, feminism, and sexuality. 

Ok, Peggy.  I hear your argument.  I get it.  On a certain level, I understand it and relate to it. 

I was raised by a feminist.  I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie dolls (or at least have my own).  The girly-girl thing was never emphasized.  I played with dolls but I also played with trucks and blocks.  I grew up in a neighborhood where I played Star Wars with the neighborhood boys.  Yes, I was always Princess Leia.  At least I wasn't Chewbacca.  I also watched the Disney movies.  I wanted to be a princess.  I pretended that I had long flowing Rapunzel hair by tying bath towels to my head.  I dreamed of dressing in beautiful Cinderella gowns.  I experimented in my tween years with nail polish and makeup.  Most importantly, I learned from the example of the strong women in my life that success was really about the brains in your head....not the look of the hairstyle that surrounded it.  Those lessons have stayed with me.  Those are the lessons that endured. 

When people speak of fostering gender equity in today's society, I think of one of my friends who has twins: a boy and a girl.  Despite her best intentions to have the twins play with the same toys and foster gender equity, the boy had migrated to the trucks and blocks and the girl only wanted to play with baby dolls before their 2nd birthday.  There is a certain amount of truth to the maxim girls will be girls and boys will be boys

My problem with Orenstein's argument is not so much that we should be aware of these gender issues and how we present our views of femininity, body image, and relationships in our society.  I agree that these are important issues.  My problem is that she seems to demonize Disney.  She blames Disney's marketing strategies and commercial endeavors for the potentially harmful effects that a girly-girl culture can have on our daughters. 

In another article, she cites Disney's latest evil scheme for world domination in which they give free baby PJ's (most assuredly featuring cute cartoon characters) to new moms in the hospital just for signing up for email alerts from the Disney corporation. Anyone who has had a baby in the last 10 years knows that before you leave the hospital, companies of all kinds are lobbying for your business.  Johnson & Johnson, Pampers, and every brand of formula known to man (or woman) offers just-enough-to-get-you-hooked samples of baby supplies for the new parents.  Disney is just following the #1 rule of entrepreneurial capitalism: give 'em free stuff and you foster brand loyalty. 


Indoctrination starts at an early age.

When our own child was born, we didn't even discover the gender until her birth.  The nursery was decorated in a neutral yellow and the newborn layette was full of gender neutral colors.  I'm still not sure why mint green is the go-to color for "I don't know the gender of my baby." 

Anyway, as soon as the words It's a Girl! came out of the doctor's mouth, the pink rushed in from every angle.  Both my husband and I fought the pink gene vehemently.  We dressed Charlotte in gender neutral outfits when we could.  She learned to cheer for Daddy's favorite football team ("Go Broncos!").  Her first birthday party had a Winnie the Pooh theme.  The second birthday was Finding Nemo. By year three, we had lost the battle.  The princesses invaded.  Despite our best efforts, Charlotte became a girly-girl.  She adored Dora.  She was amazed by Ariel. She wanted to dress in skirts and dresses and pink and sparkles.  The Princess Revolution was in full force. 

Truth be told, we didn't fight it too much. Soon after the fascination with princesses began, Charlotte was diagnosed with cancer. You can only fight so many battles at one time.  When the Make-A-Wish volunteers came to our house to help her decide her heart's desire, Charlotte told them that she wanted to go "where the princesses lived."  Of course, this was Disney World.   


CJ's Closet at Give Kids the World!

By the time we had arranged our wish trip, Charlotte had acquired a closet full of princess dresses.  Each and every one of those outfits traveled with us to Orlando. Charlotte spent three days meeting princesses and fairies. After months of chemo treatments, surgeries, and medical interventions, Charlotte found herself in a perfect fantasyland without doctors, nurses, or medicine.  Every Disney World employee, from the most elegant princess to the elderly street sweeper, went above and beyond the call of duty to make our wish trip an amazing experience.  While they knew from our badges and t-shirts that we were a Make-A-Wish family, these employees had no idea that Charlotte's condition was terminal.  None of them knew that she had a month to live. Even without this knowledge, they made my daughter the happiest little girl on earth.  In turn, they made me one happy mama.   








Disney World is not the problem. I grew up in Disney's backyard and I've seen this company evolve. This is a company founded on the principle of bringing out the kid in all of us.  This is a company founded on fantasy and imagination.  This is a company that rewards its employees for ingenuity and creativity. They pride themselves on providing exceptional customer service.  Do they make tons of money? Yes, indeed. Isn't that the American Dream?  Many books have been written about the Disney business model citing the good, the bad, and, sometimes, the ethically questionable.  Disney is incredibly successful at what they do and there is a very good reason that companies all over the world flock to their headquarters each year to learn from them: they are one of the best. 

Disney World made my daughter's dream to "be with the princesses" a reality.
That's the kind of brand loyalty that money can't buy. 








Comments

  1. Rachel,
    I have two daughters (both adults now) and one was a girly girl and the other was a tomboy. Raised the same way, had all the Disney movies. Now we have a granddaughter, she is a girly girl (well most of the time) and we are loving it. So I agree with you, enjoy them, don't worry about what they see in movies, parents should be the main influence on children and if you are a strong woman, they see that and learn from you more than you know.
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete
  2. clearly you and i were raised by the same mother. No dolls (especially Barbie) for me. When my bird was born, I was anti-pink. Of course, she is into the princesses! Last week she demanded to wear her tutu to school. How did this happen? Of course, I let her wear the tutu and I let her wear as much pink as I can get my hands on.
    I love that pic your girl smiling up at the princess- what a smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... I do tend to analyze Disney movies with that postmodern eye and deconstructionist viewpoint, however I view these images/messages not as a shaping force in cultural beliefs, but rather a reflective force.
    I think if one compares the first Disney princess (Snow White) with the most recent (Rapunzel), that becomes fairly obvious? And, yes, Disney does all of those wonderful things you mention AS WELL as attempt to foster a sense of inclusiveness and diversity among not only its employees (or should I say cast members?) but amongst its consumers.

    I grumble every now and then about Disney because it's fun. But, I have to admit, whenever we plan a trip, I still can't sleep the night before... I'm *that* excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny because I have two boys and I did not want to be a mom of a boy's boy. You know the ones that only like cars and monster trucks. Well my three year old LOVES cars and monster trucks. Disney's Cars is by far his favorite movie but do a blame Disney for turning my son into a boy's boy. Nope, for the longest time his favorite disney character was Daisy, I even bought him a Daisy doll. As he gets older he's out growing his gender neutralism but all I can do is go with the flow and encourage values I want him to have. Great post.

    Amie http://andweareoffto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Disney!

    Following from MBC. Please follow back :)
    http://slepperymind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a daughter who was a little princess (all of them from Cinderella to Snow White), had a pink room, and was very girly. We have taken her to Disneyland many times and I loved watching her face light up every time she met a princess. She is now older and is about to get her 2nd degree brown belt in Karate and loves sports. She is a well rounded mix of girly and tom boy.

    New follower from MBC
    Come and visit me at http://momsinvent.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I have to read this one... Sounds very interesting especially in the wake of Disney's announcement that they will not be making any new princess movies. Disney is not the devil and the company does a lot of good, even when it does not have to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into