Skip to main content

It was just yesterday!

This week marks 20 years since I graduated from Spruce Creek High School.  Yes. You read
Class of '93.
I haven't changed a bit, right?
that correctly. Two decades.  I know. I can't believe it either.


While you are recovering from that shock, I thought I would share some of the thoughts that have been floating around in my brain as I knew this anniversary approached.  

First, a few surprises:

  • I'm not exactly where I thought I might be career-wise.  I thought I would be a music teacher.  I left high school and entered college as a music therapy/music education double major.  Somehow the music ed degree was left behind.  That being said, I still work in education. I guess it's not that much of a stretch.
  • I did, however, think I would do more with math.  I loved math. I still love math. Yeah, I'm that kind of weirdo.  I ended up minoring in math in college, thinking that with the aforementioned music education degree, I would always have a way to teach in the schools.  I would be, as my mother likes to say, marketable.  I still work with numbers, mainly with budgets, but I haven't done any real calculus in over 15 years.  
  • I was always very active in church when I was younger.  I was even ordained a Deacon during my senior year.  I would never imagine that 20 years later, my relationship with the church would be a little different.  i still go to church every once in a while, but my spiritual comfort comes from other sources these days.
  • I thought I would marry a Republican.  Those of you who know me well are laughing your ass off right now.  But it's true.  I dated a guy for over three years who was a gun-toting, card carrying member of the NRA. I still thought we were going to get married.  Clearly, that didn't last.
  • I don't miss Florida that much. It's nice to visit but I love real seasons and I love living in Virginia.  I do miss my year-round tan, though. 
  • I thought I would have more children by now.  Yeah. Life kind of got in the way on that one.  I don't think we're done with parenting yet but I have definitely been on hiatus for a little while. 
  • In 1993, I was still emerging from my teenage self.  Parents were still part of the Evil Empire.  Twenty years later, I not only respect my mother as a parent, I value her as a friend.  
  • Since my career path was not destined for writing, I never dreamed that I would write a book AND publish it.  I also never thought I would be a business owner.  Both ventures have taught me so much and given my life interesting experiences.  
  • When I graduated from college, I was fluent in Spanish.  I then went to college in Miami so my bilingual skills continued to get a workout.  Twenty years later? Not so much.  I can plod my way through the most basic of conversations, but most of it is all Greek to me now!
With all of those surprises, it was interesting to see, though, that some things didn't change.  
  • The people who I counted as my close friends 20 years ago? They are still in my life, even across the miles. I am grateful for that.
  • I love my job! I knew a long time ago that I would not be happy in life if I wasn't doing what I loved.  Perhaps it wasn't what I originally thought my career choice would be, but I think I'm in the right place.   
  • I thrive on staying busy. In high school, I was in a lot of clubs, extracurricular activities, and an intensive International Baccalaureate academic program.  I learned that I not only survived but thrived on that energy.  A quick glance at my calendar any week of the year would confirm that not much has changed.
  • Life is about helping others. Let's face it, I wasn't destined to become a rich investment banker or an advertising executive.  (By the way, there is nothing wrong with those professions. They're just not for me.)  Service to others was a value instilled in me from an early age.  I never dreamed I would start and run my own nonprofit, but I somehow knew I would always work helping the less fortunate in some way.
  • I'm happily married to my best friend.  Ok, so it's not the Republican I dated in high school. In fact, he's pretty far from it.  Fortunately, we found each other.  Once we latched on, we just couldn't let go.  
As I look at my senior yearbook, I think about the theme for that year: Exactly the same, but totally different.  In many ways, that's how I feel about the passage of these twenty years.  While so much has changed, there are constants that keep me both grounded and reflective.  The passage of time may alter the future that we expect, but I think the truly important things in our lives rarely change.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into