Skip to main content

Ritual and Remembrance

I am such a creature of habit. 

I like to be spontaneous and switch it up every once in a while but, on the whole, I like ritual. 

My breakfast is almost always one of two choices: yogurt or oatmeal with fruit and coffee.
I drive the same route to and from work every day.
When I come home, it's the same routine again: shoes off, coat and keys on the hook, feed the cats, get the mail (usually in that order).

When we received Charlotte's initial diagnosis of brain cancer two years ago, our routine was disrupted in a major way.  Our world turned upside down.  Our life for the next year gave us little in the way of regularity.  Living one day at a time was all we could do because treatment protocols, unexpected hospitalizations, and 8 week stints in Houston, Texas kind of put a crimp in your style for maintaining regular routines. The control freak in me was not happy.

Somehow, we managed to find new routines within the chaos. The plan still seemed to switch every time we turned another corner in the treatment process, but our lives embraced new rituals with dressing changes, port flushes, journeys to and from the clinic and hospital (packing...waiting...unpacking...waiting), medication regimens, blood draws, regular scans.  

One of the challenges after a loved one dies is that life without them requires you to create new routines (yet again).   Roger and I have talked a lot in our blogs about anniversaries and holidays. Yes, those days are a challenge in their own right, but  sometimes, it's the everyday and the mundane that shocks your sense of reality the most. 

I walk downstairs and turn into the dining room, expecting to see the makeshift room we created for her.  It was her home base for almost 10 months.  It was her bedroom.  We returned it to dining room status over a year ago now and the sight still surprises me sometimes. 

I go into the store and browse for greeting cards. I see one that Charlotte would like.  I think about buying it. Then I remember that I have nowhere to send it. The same holds true for Dora stickers and adorable outfits and cute pink socks in the dollar bin at Target. 

I wake up early on my day off and think that I will need to get up soon.  She will be awake. Then I remember that she is gone. I could go back to bed if I wanted to. There is small comfort in that opportunity. 

Have you ever lost the electricity in your house for more than a few hours?  If it happens, especially during the daylight hours, it's easy to forget how accustomed you are to having that constant flow of electric current in your home.  You keep walking around your house, trying to turn on lights.  You switch on the TV because it's time for your favorite show.  You put your mug in the microwave to heat some tea.  And nothing happens.  Oh yeah.  The power is out. 

Perhaps part of healing in the grief process involves not only remembering but also in creating new routines and rituals.  There is a delicate balance in all things.  We remember the life that we shared together and we move forward in our life without them.  One day at a time. It's a slow process.  Did I mention that I'm a creature of habit? 

Comments

  1. {hug}

    Ps. Maybe you could mail the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire and envy your ability to logically lay out an argument: ritual vs. change. I will never claim to have suffered your loss, but we did endure 34 weeks of childhood cancer treatments with one daughter. Like Roger said on the other blog, the worst day was the day of diagnosis. We had a very happy healing, thanks be to God. I also thank you both for your blogsites.
    Dennis K. Folsom, Pulaski, VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so well-written and heart-wrenching.

    I second Alex's hug.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into