Skip to main content

Can I check your ID?

Our identity is the way in which we meet the world.  We present ourselves to the public in ways that are obvious and unchangeable (our gender and race) as well as in ways that require slightly more preamble.  And are subject to change.  Sometimes we give outward hints to our identity through our clothing (an executive power suit, mom jeans), our leisure activities (fishing enthusiast, crafty crafter, football fan), our behavior, and our relationships (divorced, married, "just friends").


Sometimes those outward signs of an identity may mask a true reality. How many Lifetime movies are built around the premise of the woman who shows the world she has it "all together" but hides her destructive behavior/addiction/illegal act/mental illness from the outside world until it all comes crashing down?  These movies may be fiction but chances are good that someone in your neighborhood is living that life right now. 
In this last year, I have struggled with my identity.  That is to say, while I am reasonably sure I know WHO I am, I am challenged by HOW I now present myself to the world. 


On Friday, I marked a year since the death of my only child. 



Those of you who knew me before last January would probably say that my identity is fairly clear and relatively unchanged.  I am, among other things, mom to Charlotte Jennie. When I make new acquaintances, though, the line gets kind of blurry. 

It's amazing the things that you take for granted.  It's amazing the conversational topics that seem banal until they strike a nerve.  It's amazing how often the subject of your children (or lack thereof) will come up in casual conversation.  In college, the go-to personal questions were, "Where are you from? or "What's your major?"  As adults, our small-talk shifts to "What do you do for a living?" "Are you married" and "Do you have children?"


How do I answer that last question?  In the past, the answer was the same no matter who was asking the question.  Now the answer I give is dependent on multiple factors.  How well do I know this person?  How much will I interact with them after this conversation?  How do I think they may react to my answer?  Is this a business situation, a social situation, or just a casual conversation?  How vulnerable am I feeling today?  Answers to those questions usually determine how I respond.

Option 1
Question: "Do you have children?"
Answer: "No."
Pros: It's easy and deflects the conversation immediately away from a difficult subject.
Cons: It's not really true.  I'm a mom and always will be. 

Option 2
Question: "Do you have children?"
Answer: "Not right now."
Pros: A more honest answer and relatively deflectable.  If someone's not paying attention, they usually don't catch the subtlety of my answer and move on.
Cons: If they are paying attention, follow up questions usually ensue.  

This leads us to...

Option 3
Question: "Do you have children?"
Answer: "I had a daughter and she died last year."
Pros: The most honest answer I can give.
Cons: The conversation gets awkward. 

A frequent reaction is, "I'm so sorry."  Totally appropriate.  Sometimes people will ask follow up questions (what happened?).  Usually this is ok because I love talking about my daughter and I don't mind sharing our story.  Sometimes people are clearly unsure of how to respond and I look for ways to change the subject in an effort to deflect further awkwardness.  I've had relative degrees of success with this.  More interesting reactions include immediate change of subject (as if I never said anything at all) or reactions like, "That's just terrible.  That's the worst thing I've ever heard."  I'm not sure if someone thinks they are being comforting when they say that, but they're not.  I think I know just how terrible it is.  I don't need reassurance or confirmation.    

Follow up questions are ok and usually lead to conversations around our foundation, treatment of brain tumors or other cancers, or questions about Charlotte herself.  I don't usually feel people have crossed the line until they ask the inevitable and most awkward question possible, "Will you ever have more children?"  

I don't have an easy answer to this question and it's rather painful to discuss so let's just say this is where I look to end the conversation as quickly as possible. 

I wish there was a word for who I am right now.  A widow is a woman whose spouse has died. The word is most immediately derived from the Sanskrit word widnewa, meaning "to be empty" or "to be separated".  An orphan is a child who has lost both parents, derived from the Greek word orbh, meaning "to change allegiance or status".  There is no word for a parent who has lost a child.  I think I need a word. 

When a lexical gap like this one occurs, sometimes society fills the void with new vocabulary.  The English language is composed of many words that have their derivation in Greek, Latin, or Germanic/Slavic languages. Words that have been in our vocabulary for centuries are often synergistic creations formed from the roots of these langauges: arthritis: joint inflammation, kindergarten: child's garden.  Frequent use makes it a "real" and recognized word. 

Likewise, most 20th century novel vocabulary seems to be made of word "mashups"  Spork, frenemy, ringtone, brunch...these are all words that have filled lexical gaps as the need evolves.    

I have thought of a few options.  Childless doesn't seem right as that implies that parentage was never established to begin with.  We could create words like apedia, literally meaning "child loss" in Latin, or kindertod, which translates as "child death" but these are more descriptions of what happened, not a description of the grieving person's identity. 

Yes, I know.  I really needed a new endeavor to occupy my time.  Maybe my friends out here in blog-o-land will have some ideas.  Clearly, I'm not the first grieving parent to address this challenge but my research hasn't yielded any success in this endeavor.  

At the very least, it is an interesting statement on our society that this lexical gap even exists.  Losing a child is wrong, unnatural, and unfair. I continue to grieve.  I continue to heal.  This loss will always be a part of my identity, whatever we choose to call it. 


 

Comments

  1. These words are almost as if it is something I have spoken or thought. I too find myself facing the same situation(s). Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I wish others didn't have to feel this way, yet it is comforting to know I am not alone. I think of you often!

    Jen DeSombre (Angel Casey's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the answer to the question is "yes". Once a parent, always a parent, even under tragic circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I so agree.
    How that my husband and I have had a second child we get "is she an only child?" UGH!!! I would never wish the loss of a child on anyone but there r days I wish someone else could walk a mile in my shoes:(
    Mom to Katherine 4-27-07 to 8-21-08
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may invite an unwanted theological question, but why not say boldly, "We have one beautiful daughter, Charlotte, but she is with God"?

    If the other person cannot deal with this, she/he can change the subject.

    Dennis Folsom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said...you are amazing and honest and so very brave. Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant and beautiful, as usual. I think naming something gives one a starting point... the absence of the name seems to represent our language/society/etc.unwillingness to confront the reality of losing a child. I hope we find a word because this reality is important for everyone to confront, IMHO. Also, yes, you are a mother, definitely. In fact, I would say that your experience of motherhood is significantly broader than most. Thanks for being so open and brave about expressing yourself here. You truly are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the deepest respect for you. Your transparency is beautiful, and I always feel somehow honored reading what you express. Thank you so much for sharing. We think of you and Charlotte often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The question, "Children?" One mother responds with "A daughter, always 11". This one, too, lost to brain cancer last year. Thank you for your blog - it helps many people and more than you can know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so beautifully written. Your power as a mother is amazing. You are always in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into