Skip to main content

Be nice to me....

...I gave blood today.

By the time you finish reading this post, over 60 people will require some kind of blood transfusion.  In fact, more than 4.5 million people in the United States and Canada receive blood transfusions each year. 

Blood donations help for many reasons, the most obvious being the loss of blood from surgery or a major accident; however, cancer patients, those with sickle cell disease, and many others who fight a variety of blood-related illnesses require regular transfusions of platelets, plasma, and whole blood to maintain their health.  

Blood donation centers are constantly in need of eligible donors. FUN FACT: if all blood donors gave three times a year (the average is two), blood shortages would actually be a fairly rare occurrence. 



I've been a somewhat regular blood donor ever since I was eligible to give as a teenager but it wasn't until Charlotte faced numerous hospitalizations that I renewed my efforts and energy into being a regular donor.  She and I have the same blood type (A-negative) so I often think that when I give a donation, I'm helping someone just like her. At the very least, I'm replenishing the supply of the numerous blood and platelet donations she received during her year of treatment.

Most people give whole blood donations. The whole process (from sign-in to snack time) usually takes about 30-45 minutes. It's something that you can very easily do on your lunch break, a Saturday morning, or on your way home from work.  

Recently, I started donating through apheresis. This is the process used to collect either red cells (used for treatment of anemia or blood loss due to surgeries) or platelets (used mostly for chemotherapy patients).  In apheresis, the red cells or platelets are separated from the rest of your blood while you donate and the rest of the blood is given back to you along with fluids. The process takes much longer (60-90 minutes depending on your body and blood composition) but the blood products can be used almost immediately.  If you give a double donation of red blood cells (also called "double-reds"), you can't donate again for four months but your donation goes to help even more people.  If you want to give but have a hard time finding frequent opportunities to donate, this is a great option because you can only give about three times a year.  If you donate platelets, you are eligible to give every two weeks.  

Blood donation isn't scary or painful. When I was younger, I actually felt light-headed during a few donations but that is a pretty rare occurrence.  As long as I eat a good meal before I donate and hydrate thoroughly, the worst I feel is a little more tired than usual for about 48 hours. Plus, there are some fabulous snacks waiting for you after your donation process is done.  My go-to snack at the donation center is fig newtons and orange juice.  I admit that I can't watch that big ol' needle going into my arm.  I just turn my head. Once the process has started, I'm good to go. 


The thing I like best about platelet donation is that it is one of the best excuses for doing nothing for about 90 minutes. Since the donation experience takes longer, you can bring books, movies, or even your laptop. At Virginia Blood Services, they have lap desks, free wi-fi, cozy blankets, and all the comforts of home to make the donation experience as easy as possible. I usually bring a book or some magazines and my iphone and I'm constantly entertained.  In a life where I'm constantly going from one thing to the next, it's nice to have a reason to sit down for a little while. And since I'm doing a good deed in the process, I can call it multi-tasking!

So I'll leave you today with this:
  • If you have given blood before but it's been a long time since your last donation, make an appointment.  If you live in Richmond, you can visit the Virginia Blood Services website to search for drives or appointments in your area. Many of the centers have afternoon, evening, and even weekend hours.  
  • If you are a regular blood donor, consider making your next donation a platelet or double-red contribution. Bring your favorite movie or some really trashy magazines to your appointment. Take some time for yourself while you give back to others.
  • If you have never donated, consider giving it a try. Take a friend with you. You can go out for a hearty meal together afterwards. 
  • Many people are ineligible to give because of their travel history, work (many in the military cannot donate), or their own health. While 38% of the general public is eligible to give, only 10% actually do.  If you are unable to give blood you can...
    • Babysit a friend's children so that she can donate one afternoon.
    • Organize a blood drive in your neighborhood, at work, or at your place of worship
    • Consider a financial donation to the American Red Cross or to your local blood services agency.  These organizations are nonprofits that rely on financial gifts to keep vehicles and equipment up to date. 
Blood donation is one of the easiest ways to regularly give back to your community in a tangible way.  What are you waiting for? Last one to the bloodmobile buys me a steak dinner!


Facts about blood and blood donation courtesy of Virginia Blood Services







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Edge of Seventeen

It's that time of year when the blog musings center on my grief journey. Every year, it seems like we are busy with end-of-the-year school activities and the start of summer, planning vacations, and then (kablam)...it's almost July 9.  Grief is funny. Grief is weird. I remember very early after Charlotte died, I watched the movie Rabbit Hole.  There's an amazingly poignant scene where Nicole Kidman's character is talking with another woman who lost a child over 10 years before (played by Dianne Wiest). She talks about grief being like a brick in your pocket. It never goes away. Sometimes you can even forget it's there. But it comes back and makes its presence known from time to time. And (she says) "it's what you have of them."    I probably did not fully realize then what a powerful and true analogy that is. As time goes on, our grief changes. Yet, it is always there on the edge of things. It sits in that pocket and sometimes makes itself known.  This

The Stages of Grief: COVID Edition

It's 2020. It's almost Christmas. We're still in the middle of a pandemic. In fact, we are experiencing what appears to be an incredible surge that is exerting tremendous pressure on our healthcare and social service system. The headlines are clear: we're not done with this madness and December 31, 2020 will not magically be the "end of it".  Earlier in the year, our family thought about whether we might be able to travel at this time. We thought that maybe the curve would be flat enough that we could take a few days away from home during the Christmas holidays. We realized that the pandemic would still be happening, but with the right protections and with prolific mask usage, we could get a much-needed change of scenery. During what is now (clearly) a delusional thought process, we booked a stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the week of December 19th. Spoiler alert: we canceled the trip almost two weeks ago.  Canceling this trip was not a tragedy. In fact, I

Bittersweet Sixteen

I think about Charlotte every single day. However, this time of year, I'm flooded with all kinds of memories as we commemorate the anniversary of her birth. This year feels like a bit of a milestone. Sixteen.  If cancer had not taken her life back in 2010, I have a feeling I would be planning a massive birthday celebration this year. 16 always feels like a landmark year in someone's life.  I have been thinking a great deal about the last birthday party we had for Charlotte in 2009. We didn't know it at the time, but we were halfway through her treatment journey. We had been through three major brain surgeries and a few rounds of inpatient chemotherapy. Treatments were not going well. In fact, right after her birthday, we would make the trip to Houston, Texas where we would settle in for about 10 weeks of proton beam radiation treatments and a new customized chemotherapy protocol. This was the unspoken "last chance option" to beat that aggressive brain tumor into